Sunday, September 28, 2008

Chuck Berry

I had to miss seeing Chuck Berry play a free concert in Iowa City on Friday night, on cause of Brewnost.

My parents saw Chuck a few years back at a theatre in Morristown, New Jersey. Apparently Chuck doesn't tour with a band, or any gear except his guitar, so he shows up to every show to a different backing band. The issue is that they have only a vague setlist, and that his songs don't employ your everyday simple blues chords, so the first 20 minutes of his sets are total fucking disasters - my mom used the word "avant garde."

My mom's employer is a patron of the theatre where the event was held, and there was supposed to be a meet and greet with Chuck post-performance. My parents showed up, but Chuck never did. After waiting for an hour they left, and as my Dad was in the car talking to me on his cellphone, I heard him scream, "HEY LOOK THERE'S CHUCK," and apparently there was Chuck Berry, ditching his ritzy meet and greet in order to pound some down at some scummy bar in Morristown. I heard my Dad yell "great show Chuck" and some muttering from Chuck's end, something like "hghhbhghhh." The dude films girls pooping, so I doubt he gives a fuck.

No comments: